Skip to main content

S1 Ep 5- The Superb Owl

Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? There was a lot going on this week including some new music from American Authors, a new video game that everyone's been talking about Kingdom Hearts 3, and I saw a Superb Owl fly over me while driving home from Prescott, AZ. But with all of that out of the way, let's get through some news, shall we?

NEWS!
-Spider-Man on PS4 received 2 new suits this week which is great that that game is getting more content. It was my game of the year of 2018 so I love seeing it keep growing.
-Piranha Plant was finally released for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and it's an interesting edition to the roster. There will still be 5 more fighters available for the game over the next few years.
-"The Batman" will officially release in 2021 and will NOT feature Ben Affleck as the world's greatest detective. Get it together DC!
-James Gunn will not be directing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, but will be directing Suicide Squad 2 titled "The Suicide Squad" which is not confusing at all.
-Disneyland had to close Space Mountain due to a guest jumping off mid ride. I don't know if it was intentional or not but either way it sucks for everyone.
-Animal Crossing 2019 is rumored to be coming to Nintendo Switch on April 29th. Which is a solid release date!

TRAILERS: the Superb Owl flew over my head and dropped a whole bunch of new trailers on our laps. Let's see what the Owl brought us.

Image result for Avengers: Endgame
Avengers: Endgame gets a short teaser trailer and it looks great. The trailer shows a little more of the state of the world and that the remaining Avengers aren't done yet.

Alita: Battle Angel gets it's final trailer but a well crafted one. I have seen multiple trailers for this movie and I still don't know what it's fully about. Kudos to them for making great trailers!

Captain Marvel gets a new short TV spot which also shows us little to no actual plot information about this film. This one was more of the same though which didn't get me super excited for this film.

The Twilight Zone is getting a reboot and will be hosted by none other than Jordan Peele which is going to be amazing!

Toy Story 4... I refuse to see it, I may start denying that it exists.

Game of Thrones Season 8 gets a new trailer disguised as a Bud Light ad and it's perfect!

Reviews! (let's go from bad to good)

The Superb Owl is a huge bird that flies over the country every year in early February. The bird brings new trailers, hoots really loudly for the "biggest concert of the year", and brings all the jack wagons together in a stadium. They even play a game to commemorate the owl which was the lowest scoring one in history this year. Let's get one thing straight... I hate this owl. I hate everything about it except the trailers and I like to see the performance but this year almost all of it was terrible. The only trailer worth mentioning is Avengers: Endgame, the teams to honor the owl only scored 16 points total, and the performance was the worst I've seen. So let's get to that, shall we?

Maroon 5, Travis Scott, and Big Boi performed at the Superb Owl Halftime Show and it was awful. Maroon 5 has a lot of great songs but were boring performers. Then Spongebob was introduced but it wasn't Spongebob, it was Travis Scott to perform a song and get half of his lyrics cut out because he can't follow the rules. Then Adam Levine started stripping to make their performance more entertaining. Then Big Boi showed up and performed a song that was relatively popular in 2003, and then Maroon 5 played one more song and it was over... Nothing interesting except the random Spongebob thing. More than 1 million people petitioned to have "Sweet Victory" performed and did they do it? No, just a dumb cameo from Squidward and Spongebob. If they ended with "Sweet Victory" that would have been something to write home about. With all of that said, it was awful.

So the Superb Owl was a bust this year and nothing truly interesting happened during it. It could have been more interesting they just chose not to make it interesting. Also football sucks. The end.

Image result for Seasons american authors
"Seasons" by American Authors was a surprise album by them. I've never been a real fan of theirs only hearing "Best Day of My Life" on the radio and such but I thought I'd give this album a listen. I listened to it 4 times through to be exact and each time gets a little bit better but still doesn't have enough to bring it up to snuff of a good album. So here's what I thought through each time listening to the album...

1. This is the American Authors? What happened to the catchy songs I know? Oh wait, I really only know one of their songs. What is this? This is not alternative music this is cheesy pop music possibly cheesier than the Backstreet Boys.

2. These songs all blend together in a jumbled mess. Not even in like a cohesive album blend but blend like an entire happy meal (including) the toy together and then drinking it.

3. Alright there are some decent songs on this album like "Calm Me Down", "Deep Water", and my favorite is "Before I Go". Too bad the rest of the album is not great and event these stand out songs are not great.

4. I appreciate the album as their second full length album but it's still an awful album and will not be going on my ultimate shelf. I'll just keep "Before I Go" on my playlist.


Image result for kingdom hearts 3

Kingdom Hearts 3 is a game 13 years in the making. It's the 13th game in the series. The game is final installment of the series (so they say) and will close out Sora's story in the best way possible. The game is a bizarre mash-up of Square Enix original characters and Disney characters. The game goes through a story that takes you to various Disney Worlds (Hercules, Toy Story, and Tangled to name a few) to collect things that will help save your world. It's an odd game premise that somehow works for the game and has continued to work for the game.

The game play is fun and easy to grasp. They have done a great job of adding in new mechanics consistently throughout the game but not making it overwhelming. The combat has a different feel to it and Sora moves way different than he did in Kingdom Hearts 2. But the highlight for me is the introduction of Disney Attractions as special moves for bigger battles such as a Pirate Ship from Peter Pan's flight, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. It really does a great job incorporating more aspects of Disney into this bizarre game.

There are some issues for the game, like playing for 30 minutes and then having to sit through an hour and a half of cut scenes which are all super important for the plot and are well done but when I only have an hour to play I don't want to turn it on and watch rather than play. Also air jumping is a horrible mechanic with a cool premise. The idea of locking onto targets above you and jumping to them is great until it never locks onto anything and then camera doesn't stay facing up.

I can't say if this is going on my ultimate shelf. I only played about 4 hours of it which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. But as of now it is going on my list. Although I don't know if I would play through it again after I beat it. That's one of the true tests of a video game. So I would say yes, it will be on my ultimate shelf... for now.


So that's all we got today it was a big week for reviews! Next week I have some more travel destinations including Sedona, AZ and Tonto Natural Bridge so if you want to see pictures of those make sure you're following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Also check out the YouTube channel for weekly video reviews and a Podcast version on every podcasting outlet on Fridays. Thanks for following us, keep going on adventures!

                                            All the Best, Ross



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Deafo

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure takes into the world of Cece Bell's graphic novel turned into an Apple TV+ series titled "El Deafo". It is a semi autobiographical tale of her early life and dealing with her struggles of being deaf. The series also features original music from Waxahatchee a very underrated artist in my opinion! So let's get started on our review and head to Virginia to meet Cece Bell in "El Deafo" First off I would like to say the character designs are super cute and enjoyable to watch. I love the design of the rabbits and the clean lines of the show are very pleasant to look at. The tone of the show is very colorful yet muted and pastel which I really enjoy.  Now I won't give away the plot but as you can guess from the title and the poster that this is the story of how Cece lost her hearing. It is great to see a story for children addressing this topic for them to understand the issue

POKEMON SWORD AND SHIELD LEAKS!!!

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD DO NO READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS! Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure is not a traditional adventure. In 2 weeks Pokemon Sword and Shield will be releasing on Nintendo Switch and we got almost every new Pokemon leaked this week! Here's how this will go, I will talk little bit about my thoughts on each line and at the end tell you what my first run through team will be. Let's get started! Grookey, Thwackey, and Rilaboom is the pure grass starter line. it's a great line but I don't like the middle evolution's coloring. It's like green, bright green, and then brown? It just seems odd but I love the idea of the drummer gorilla! Scorbunny, Raboot, and Cinderace is the pure fire starter line. It's not the best line because I don't like the clothes The Pokemon are wearing in their designs. Maybe it'll look better in motions but It's not my favorite. Sobble, Drizzle,

Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? Today's adventure takes us deep into the walls and underneath the ground to the land of Fraggle Rock. But this isn't the first time we've been here, we remember this place from long ago and it's time to go back. A reboot of a series that ended in 1987 is just what Apple TV+ needs right? Let's find out! Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock has 13 episodes in it's first season and it's just as charming as you remember. The muppets look as good as ever, the characters a charming, and the world building in this show is actually quite good! Each episode has a fun adventure with a pretty solid through line of exploring "outer space" which is just our world. There are some pretty great jokes that go along with this too. In the pilot episode one of the characters gets attacked by a dog, when telling his friends about it he says "I was attacked by the most vicious space monster" and it cuts to t