Skip to main content

S1 Ep. 27- The Black Keys

Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? Well it's that time of year again! The time when Jack White puts out an album and a few weeks later The Black Keys do as well to piss Jack off. "Help Us Stranger" came out two weeks ago and this week's review is for "Lets Rock" by the Black Keys. No news this week, summer blog posts are always tough to do so I like make it short sweet and to the point, so let's get rocking!

"Lets Rock" by the Black Keys is the band's 9th studio album and it shows. It shows the boredom the band has accrued from performing the same style and the same type of music for almost 20 years now. I really like the ideas of some of the songs such as "Shine A Little Light", "Walk Across the Water", and "Sit Around and Miss You"; but even though these songs are wonderfully written they are not well performed on the album.

The vocals sound jaded and bored even on the heavy hitting rock tunes or emotional blues tunes. They just seemed bored with what they're performing. The three songs I mentioned before are the ones that stick out to me because they either are beautifully written songs or have killer guitar parts. The drums are fine but there is nothing new or spectacular about anything on this album and that makes me bored and sad.

They say rock music is dead but that's because the ideas involved with traditional rock music are dead. The sound of classic rock and metal and grunge are dead. We need something new, I believe the reason why this album is boring is because the Black Keys believe themselves one of the last few rock bands that are playing the classic rock sound but we've had almost 60 years of that sound, let's find something new.

Due to the bland nature of this album with only 3 memorable songs on it, this album is not going on my ultimate shelf. I truly wanted it to be but it just doesn't hold up. In the battle between Jack White and the Black Keys, Jack White wins yet again!

Thank you for sticking with Thrak Attack and reading! This summer is a little hectic but a few more weeks I'll be back to my normal schedule and the videos, blog, and podcasting will be a little more regular. Next week I will finally get to see Spider-Man: Far From Home which will close out the MCU's Phase 3 officially so we shall see what Marvel has in store next!

                                                       All the Best, Ross

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pokemon Cinematic Universe

Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure was Detective Pikachu which is an awesome live action Pokemon Movie but not the Pokemon we were expecting. Even though this movie was really well done, I believe there in the future for us in regards to another cinematic universe. The way they handled this film and the references in it are perfectly done and do set up a future for this for happening. SPOILER WARNING for Detective Pikachu, if you have not seen this please, go watch the film and then come on back! Alright let's get started with the film we received this past weekend. Pokemon: Detective Pikachu is a mystery film taking place in the Pokemon World based on a video game of the same name. Tim Goodman meets a talking Pikachu after his father mysteriously passes away. Throughout the film we realize that it is actually his father trapped inside Pikachu's body although none of the characters know this until the end. The villain's plan...

S3 Finale: Top 10 Shows of 2021

 Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This year I added a new category to Thrak Attack's lineups of adventures. I've never been a big TV show follower but I felt like with the MCU adding TV shows and access to some new streaming services to my roster over quarantine that it was time to add those adventures in! So here is a Thrak Attack first, The Top 10 Shows of 2021! 10. Hawkeye on Disney+  is not a great mini series but has some great character introductions and moments for the MCU. Most importantly introducing Kate Bishop who will hopefully take up the mantle of Hawkeye, Yelena reconciling with Clint about Natasha's death in Endgame, and the reintroduction of a character from the Netflix Marvel shows!   9. The Shrink Next Door on Apple TV+ was a short and sweet show based on a podcast which is an interesting transition. Both Paul Rudd and Will Ferrel shine in this show showcasing both of their acting chops. The plot is pretty simple but is com...

Best of 2018 (Part 2)

Well here we are folks, 2019! It's time for the final post for 2018 before we jump into the new year! It's Top 10 time! Top 10 movies, video games, albums, songs, and travel destinations! So it's going to be a long but great post of the best of the year! If you want to see the adventures I want on this past year, I have the part 1 post of the full years adventures if you would like to check it out! With all that out of the way, let's get started! Top 10 2018 Movies 10. Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse - A fantastically animated film but would have better off as an television series. 9. Venom - I was not expecting this film to be this good. I was pleseantly surprised by the tone of this film and the acting. The unexpected joy I found in this film gives it the #9 spot. 8. Solo: A Star Wars Story - Diffidently not the worst Star Wars film but not the best either. Just a fun space adventure with a fantastic performance by Donald Glover as Lando. 7. Ant-Man an...