Skip to main content

S2 Ep. 1- Top 10's of the Decade

Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure takes us on a journey to the past! 2010 and onward! What were my favorite albums, songs, video games, and movies from the past decade? What better way to kick off the new year, decade, and season than taking a look back! So here we go, season 2! Top 10 of the OT's!

TOP 10 ALBUMS

10. "Awaken, My Love!" by Childish Gambino is one the quintessential albums of the decade. The cultural and musical influences he uses and creates with this album are astonishing!

9. "Wasting Light" by Foo Fighters is one of many they released this decade but is the album I believe is their best of them all. Even with "Concrete and Gold's" production value and "Sonic Highways" concept, this one is just the best.

8. "Sugar" by G. Love and Special Sauce is the return to form for the underrated group. Jimi Jazz returns on bass to create one of the legendary trio's best album.

7. "Ceremonials" by Florence + the Machine was one of the hardest to pick by her. She deserves a spot on the list but it was a tough time for me to decide. I went with "Ceremonials" because it has the most cohesiveness to it and it really brought her into the mainstream.

6. "21" by Adele was one of the most popular albums on this list but really shows her prowess as a musician. One of the most emotional albums on the list as well!

5. "Low Country" by Envy on the Coast is one of those albums that deserves much more praise than it gets. The gritty and greasy sound of rock fuses all sorts of styles together for a masterpiece that deserves much more praise.

4. "Blunderbuss" by Jack White is his first solo outing and truly encapsulates what his solo career is all about. His color spectrum change from red to blue truly shows the artist evolving and style changing as time goes by.

3. "Sometimes I Think and Sit and Sometimes I Just Sit" by Courtney Barnett is her breakthrough album that I was way too late to the party. I am very glad I joined the party because this new style is nearly flawless.

2. "A Head Full of Dreams" by Coldplay was another one I had trouble picking. "Ghost Stories" was a sleeper hit, "Everyday Life" was this year's interesting release, and "Mylo Xyloto" changed the band's sound immensely; but "A Head Full of Dreams" truly encapsulates what Coldplay are all about.

1. "Dopamine" by Borns is my favorite album of the decade. Ever since 2015 I have not been able to escape this album. The style, the energy, the production, and just the sheer amount of musicality blows my mind!

TOP 10 SONGS

10. "Shake the Frost" by Tyler Childers is a newcomer to my list. My buddies Rod and Craig started playing with this guy and I was blown away with his songwriting. I am not a country fan but this is a great country song.

9. "I'll Be Waiting" by Adele is the song that sold me on Adele. Not "Rolling in the Deep" or "Hometown Glory"; it was this underrated gem of a song.

8. "Blackstar" by David Bowie is one of the most prolific songs of the decade by far. Heavily foreshadowing the legend's death is the reason this song gives me chills and hope for the future of music as Bowie had.

7. "Gold" by Chet Faker is another song I was late to the party with but I am glad I joined the party. The song is groovy, the style is great, and the song is truly well written and deserves much more attention than it gets.

6. "An Illustration of Loneliness (Sleepless in New York)" by Courtney Barnett is the song that best exemplifies her writing style and lyric writing talent. So descriptive, melodic, and mind bending that you can't help but listen to it multiple times.

5. "Oceans" by Coldplay is one of the most haunting songs of the decade. It takes a snapshot of the emotion Chris went through with his divorce with Gwen. This emotion is the reason why this is on the list and why I love this band so much.

4. "Sentry the Defiant" by Coheed and Cambria is heavy, it's hard, it has so much attention to detail and has some of the best melodies most songs would only dream of having! I am so happy this song made it on the list.

3. "How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful" by Florence + The Machine is a song that shows that modern music has scope, musicality, and can be a piece of music. This is a musical adventure.

2. "Lazaretto" by Jack White is the song that completely captures all of the elements of his music. Ripping guitar solo? Check. Catchy bass riff? Check. Winding lyrics? Check. Violin solo? Check.

1. "10,000 Emerald Pools" by Borns made #1 on both lists. For the past 5 years of my life I could not escape this song. When I moved to Arizona is was the song that I was hooked on so it hold nostalgia, the harmonies are haunting, and every time I listen I find a new reason I love it.


TOP 10 VIDEO GAMES

10. Xenoblade Chronicles (3DS) I know the Wii version is the superior version but this is how I experienced this game and I am glad I did. The world building, story, and real time combat was just so exciting for me.

9. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) Everyone is here! Even Banjo Kazooie. I had a hard time not picking Smash 4 but the characters in this game make it the better game. Also It's been over a year and I am still playing pretty regularly.

8. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) I am not done with this game but I am excited to keep playing and exploring this amazing world they crafted. I am surprised this game has not been adapted to the big screen yet because the story is just so well done!

7. Spider-Man (PS4) If there was no story to this game it would probably still make the list but fortunately for us it had one of the best Spider-Man story arcs I could think of. There has been a lot of Spider-Man this decade but this one is the best for me.

6. Pokemon X and Y (3DS) Was the Pokemon's jump to 3D and it made the jump flawlessly. This game from the core series is last game that Pokemon nailed. Unfortunately Sun and Moon was TOO long and Sword and Shield are... well let's save that for another time. X and Y all day baby!

5. Starcraft II (PC) This game was this decade? Of course it's going on the list! The original Starcraft is one of my Top 10 Games of all time but this one is just as great and is in this decade so it will go right in the center of the list.

4. Pokemon GO (iOS) This game was released on my birthday in 2016 and I have been consistently playing it ever since. It had a rough start but they put the time and effort into it to really make it the greatest mobile game of all time.

3. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) Was the launch title for the Switch that truly made the system successful. The game truly reinvented the franchise in the best way possible.

2. Minecraft (PC) The first time I played Minecraft was when me and my friends sat in my friend's room for 12 hours creating a castle together and it is the sole reason this is on the list. The fact that I will always come back to the game many more times is why it's #2.

1. Skyrim (Xbox 360) This game exceeded all expectations and rivals Oblivion almost enough to be better. The reason why it's #1? I have played through this game almost every year since it was released with different character styles and I recently started my next run and am having just as much fun and challenge with it.


TOP 10 MOVIES

10. Avengers: Infinity War makes the list because it's Part 1 of the culmination of the MCU and brings one of the greatest villains of all time to the big screen for one of the most heart wrenching endings to any movie.

9. Avengers: Endgame because this one was just slightly better and more important. So well done with so many character arcs coming to a close, continuing, and every one getting the screen time they deserve. Also Portals is one of the greatest scenes in cinema history.

8. Toy Story 3 is one of the best endings to any trilogy ever. Giving emotional pay off to Pixar's greatest story and ending it with some of the most emotional scenes and a goodbye that rivals Casablanca. Also this is final Toy Story film, it is the end, they never made a 4th.

7. Whiplash is a movie I regretted putting on here because the drumming in it is so fake but the film itself is so spectacular and the performances in it (acting and musical) were so compelling it made it onto the list.

6. Tangled is better than Frozen. I don't care who you are the lantern scenes is one of the most beautiful in cinema. The characters were great, animation was great, and I tear up every time I hear "At Last I See the Light".

5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU movie. It sort of saved the franchise. This movie came after Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World which weren't great. If it wasn't for this movie the MCU would be very different.

4. Arrival I watched on the plane to Europe and sat for another 40 minutes staring at a blank screen because I had to wrap my mind around what actually happened. After the second viewing I understand and love it!

3. The Music Never Stopped is the second movie on this list starring JK Simmons. This one is far superior due to it's focus on music therapy and the discussion of what the music does for the brain.

2. Coco is the second film on this list also about the importance of music. I cried so hard on this film and will think much more fondly of it now that my last grandparent has passed away. It's a great story with perfect characters and the emotions that will never cease to get me teary eyed.

1. Life of Pi is my introduction into Yann Martel's writing and I am extremely grateful of it. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors and this movie truly does the book justice. The visuals are stunning, the acting performances are perfect, the story is thought provoking, and it makes you think of the wonders of life.



Well thank you for reading my rambling about the last decade! What are your thoughts? Did any of these make your lists? Please let me know! Tomorrow will be the second part to the Season 2 premier that will look at the year to come! Keep going on adventures!

               All the Best, Ross


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Deafo

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure takes into the world of Cece Bell's graphic novel turned into an Apple TV+ series titled "El Deafo". It is a semi autobiographical tale of her early life and dealing with her struggles of being deaf. The series also features original music from Waxahatchee a very underrated artist in my opinion! So let's get started on our review and head to Virginia to meet Cece Bell in "El Deafo" First off I would like to say the character designs are super cute and enjoyable to watch. I love the design of the rabbits and the clean lines of the show are very pleasant to look at. The tone of the show is very colorful yet muted and pastel which I really enjoy.  Now I won't give away the plot but as you can guess from the title and the poster that this is the story of how Cece lost her hearing. It is great to see a story for children addressing this topic for them to understand the issue

POKEMON SWORD AND SHIELD LEAKS!!!

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD DO NO READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS! Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure is not a traditional adventure. In 2 weeks Pokemon Sword and Shield will be releasing on Nintendo Switch and we got almost every new Pokemon leaked this week! Here's how this will go, I will talk little bit about my thoughts on each line and at the end tell you what my first run through team will be. Let's get started! Grookey, Thwackey, and Rilaboom is the pure grass starter line. it's a great line but I don't like the middle evolution's coloring. It's like green, bright green, and then brown? It just seems odd but I love the idea of the drummer gorilla! Scorbunny, Raboot, and Cinderace is the pure fire starter line. It's not the best line because I don't like the clothes The Pokemon are wearing in their designs. Maybe it'll look better in motions but It's not my favorite. Sobble, Drizzle,

Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? Today's adventure takes us deep into the walls and underneath the ground to the land of Fraggle Rock. But this isn't the first time we've been here, we remember this place from long ago and it's time to go back. A reboot of a series that ended in 1987 is just what Apple TV+ needs right? Let's find out! Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock has 13 episodes in it's first season and it's just as charming as you remember. The muppets look as good as ever, the characters a charming, and the world building in this show is actually quite good! Each episode has a fun adventure with a pretty solid through line of exploring "outer space" which is just our world. There are some pretty great jokes that go along with this too. In the pilot episode one of the characters gets attacked by a dog, when telling his friends about it he says "I was attacked by the most vicious space monster" and it cuts to t