Skip to main content

JUNE!

Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What’s your adventure? This month’s adventures took us to 2 destinations, many an album, an awful music, and some solid video games! Just so your aware, I am traveling for the summer (and being safe and social distancing) and am informing you that I am well aware that Last of Us Part 2 is the best adventure of the month but I do not have my PS4 at this moment so it will have to wait until the end of the year to make it’s way to the Top 10 Video Games of the year! With all of that out of the way, let’s get started! Top 10 of the month!

10. Artemis Fowl
    
I was very excited for this movie to release last year and after it’s 3rd release date and push to Disney+ release I knew it was going to be awful but not THAT awful. It’s possibly one of the worst movie I have ever seen and I’m glad I didn’t pay to see it in theaters! It’s clunky, the actors don’t care, and the stories are so misguided that I had no idea what actually happened in the film. I am sick of tired of all of my book series failing as movies (Percy Jackson, Eragon, and Dragonball Z) I could write a better adaptation than this pile of garbage film!

9. Ninjala

I was expecting way more out of Ninjala than I got. I did get a free game even though I thought it was going to be full priced, but the in game purchases really put a sour taste in my mouth. It’s a fun game though with some really fun gameplay and cool combat and style, but it runs really weird like it’s through the Nintendo Eshop and that makes it feel off putting. I just didn’t get what I thought it was going to be and will probably not continue to play it like I did with Splatoon 2.

8. “Look for the Good” by Jason Mraz

We listened to this album on the way from DC to NJ and it was fine for background music but there are two funny stories about it. The first is, a song came on and I said “I like this one” and my girlfriend responded “Yea, but this isn’t Jason Mraz singing”... The second story is we were listening to the album and were enjoying when we realized that Spotify had moved onto other reggae music and we had no idea when the album actually stopped. So needless to say, it’s nothing special.

7. Huntington, WV

I went to college at Marshall University and enjoyed my time there. On our drive from St. Louis to DC, we took a break in Huntington and I gotta say, it’s a great small city to take a break at. We enjoyed our time at Black Sheep, the Ohio River is beautiful, got some DP Dough as a midnight snack, and stopped at Tudor’s biscuit world for breakfast the next day!

6. Pokémon Isle of Armor

This is the first time Pokémon has done DLC for one of their main series games and it’s interesting but not great. The story seems forced and rushed, the new areas are great to explore, but there’s only 1 new Pokémon with some new forms, but it really just seems like a way to sell the Pokémon they “couldn’t” fit into the main games. So maybe it is good but I am over Pokémon Sword and Shield and have barely played this DLC because of it.

5. Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom- Rehydrated

By no means is this a good game but I am having a blast with it! It’s childhood classic for me on the GameCube and an easy summer game to play on the switch when traveling. So it may not be the best game but it’s the best game for me right now. If I was home in Phoenix, I’m sure I would be saying something different about it!

4. “Lamb of God” by Lamb of God

The most metal I get is System of a Down, Black Sabbath, and TOOL, so this is a wild departure for me in my musical tastes. I also feel like this is why I’m enjoying it so much. It’s something different that I am not used to listening to and have enjoyed my time with. Unfortunately I can’t oversaturate myself with this music. 2 or 3 songs at a time and I feel satisfied with my metal time! Some standouts are “Mememento Moti” and “Checkmate”

3. “Women in Music Part III” by HAIM

I have heard of HAIM before and have passively listened to them before but this is the first time I’ve dove into their music. I am really enjoying this album! The second half drags a bit but I think I just was so enthralled with the first half that I need to keep listening and feel it out! I really enjoy it! Especially “Los Angelos”, “I Know Alone”, and my favorite is “Gasoline”. This is a contender for album of the year though!

2. Washington DC


















Washington DC is always a treat and I’ve been there hundreds of times at this point. It’s just such a well designed city, it’s a joy to walk around. Unfortunately we did not get to go to any museums (my girlfriend wanted to see the Holocaust museum) but we had a great time walking and seeing the sights! The next day, we went to Great Falls, VA and saw some cool rapids and waterfalls of the Potomac River. A very cool day and a half!

1. Clubhouse Games

What a joy to play, an absolute joy! This game is the ultimate summer game! It’s fun for an hour or so here or there, has a variety of games, easy to learn and pick up, and the sound effects. MY GOD THE SOUND EFFECTS! Whoever was on sound design deserves an award! It’s so enjoyable to hear a card flip, a dice roll, a pool cue, or checkers clack! I love it! Unfortunately, the couch co-op is lacking which I am very disappointed in. The only 2 games we could play with all four of us were Ludo and Blackjack which get old after a while. It’s silly because many of the games could have been adapted to accommodate 4 players but that is the only downside!



Well that’s it! Top 10 adventures of June 2020! Some really great ones and some absolute terrible ones! Stay tuned for the July look ahead and keep going on adventures!

                                              All the Best, Ross

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Deafo

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure takes into the world of Cece Bell's graphic novel turned into an Apple TV+ series titled "El Deafo". It is a semi autobiographical tale of her early life and dealing with her struggles of being deaf. The series also features original music from Waxahatchee a very underrated artist in my opinion! So let's get started on our review and head to Virginia to meet Cece Bell in "El Deafo" First off I would like to say the character designs are super cute and enjoyable to watch. I love the design of the rabbits and the clean lines of the show are very pleasant to look at. The tone of the show is very colorful yet muted and pastel which I really enjoy.  Now I won't give away the plot but as you can guess from the title and the poster that this is the story of how Cece lost her hearing. It is great to see a story for children addressing this topic for them to understand the issue

POKEMON SWORD AND SHIELD LEAKS!!!

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD DO NO READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS! Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure is not a traditional adventure. In 2 weeks Pokemon Sword and Shield will be releasing on Nintendo Switch and we got almost every new Pokemon leaked this week! Here's how this will go, I will talk little bit about my thoughts on each line and at the end tell you what my first run through team will be. Let's get started! Grookey, Thwackey, and Rilaboom is the pure grass starter line. it's a great line but I don't like the middle evolution's coloring. It's like green, bright green, and then brown? It just seems odd but I love the idea of the drummer gorilla! Scorbunny, Raboot, and Cinderace is the pure fire starter line. It's not the best line because I don't like the clothes The Pokemon are wearing in their designs. Maybe it'll look better in motions but It's not my favorite. Sobble, Drizzle,

Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? Today's adventure takes us deep into the walls and underneath the ground to the land of Fraggle Rock. But this isn't the first time we've been here, we remember this place from long ago and it's time to go back. A reboot of a series that ended in 1987 is just what Apple TV+ needs right? Let's find out! Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock has 13 episodes in it's first season and it's just as charming as you remember. The muppets look as good as ever, the characters a charming, and the world building in this show is actually quite good! Each episode has a fun adventure with a pretty solid through line of exploring "outer space" which is just our world. There are some pretty great jokes that go along with this too. In the pilot episode one of the characters gets attacked by a dog, when telling his friends about it he says "I was attacked by the most vicious space monster" and it cuts to t