Skip to main content

S3 Finale- Top 10 Video Games of 2021

 Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This year has been a wild year and there have been some wild video game releases in both hardware and software! This year I played games on Nintendo Switch, Apple Arcade, Google Stadia and the Playstation 5! Here are the Top 10 Games of 2021


10. Cyber Shadow was a January release on the Switch and started the year off with a bang! The lack of a story in this game did not bother me because the gameplay felt so good and the controls were so smooth. I loved the challenging bosses, the classic music and the 16 bit feel of this game!

Save 20% on Cyber Shadow on Steam

9. FantAsian on Apple Arcade blew me away and changed my perception of what a mobile game could be! I couldn't believe how good this game looked on my iPad Pro and how well the game controlled. The story and world were inventive and the turn based gameplay was a perfect balance of challenge without the usual grind of a JRPG. If this game was on any other platform it would not have made this list but it opened my eyes to what mobile gaming could be! 

 Apple Arcade original 'Fantasian' part two debuts August 13 | AppleInsider

8. New Pokemon Snap is a game that everyone said they wanted but then apparently no one cared about! But I did! This is such a fun and relaxing game that shines in one particular part... the environmental storytelling. The way that multiple play throughs of a level will change how the Pokemon act while you're around is a genius way to keep me coming back for more. The special challenges for specific shots made me think outside the box, and to be apart of a moving and breathing Pokemon world was refreshing after the disappointment of the Sword and Shield Wild Area. 

 New Pokémon Snap™ for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

7. Metroid Dread is not my style of game...but this game is so good I don't care! Unfortunately it came out during my wedding month so I was a little preoccupied and busy but it still holds up as one of the best games of the year and is still a game that should not exist! This does give me hope for the future of the series and Metroid Prime four which is more my style!

 Amazon.com: Metroid Dread [Pre-Purchase] - Standard - Nintendo Switch  [Digital Code] : Electronics

6. Returnal this game is very similar to Metroid but in my opinion does it better because of the graphical capabilities of the Playstation 5. The acting in this game is fantastic, the mystery is compelling, the atmosphere is weird and creepy, and the all around design of the game is stunning. Unfortunately, it's not my style of game so it's not higher on the list! 

 Returnal - Exclusive PS5 Games | PlayStation (US)

5. Eastward was pleasant surprise and a great game to play while traveling with the Nintendo Switch. It came out the same day as SkateBird, which was awful, and it should be getting much more praise than it's gotten. The characters are well defined, the world is charming, and the overall feel of the game is just fantastic. More people should play this game!

 Eastward for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

4. The Famicon Detective Clubs "The Girl Who Stands Behind" and "The Missing Heir" are two games that fused together in my head as one fantastic story. This is a game from the Famicon that never made it to the US in the 80's but was remade for the switch. It's a point and click mystery visual novel and wow did it have me guessing until the end! I loved both of these stories and even though the gameplay wasn't much the story and characters were fantastic!

Famicom Detective Club™: The Two-Case Collection for Nintendo Switch -  Nintendo Game Details

3. Resident Evil: Village was the last game I have and will ever play on Google Stadia. The service never got off the ground and now I have the PS5 which makes the service redundant for me. Regardless of how I played this game, it is fantastic! The visuals are spooky and clean. The gameplay makes you feel the survival horror genre to the fullest and the character designs are perfectly horrific and intriguing all at the same time!

 Save 35% on Resident Evil Village on Steam

2. Monster Hunter: Rise was the game I was most obsessed with this year! The gameplay loop is so perfect for this series that you can't stop playing! The series's return to Nintendo was a great idea too because playing this game on the go is perfect! This time around I found myself mastering the insect glaive and I cannot wait to go back in with a completely different weapon type!

 Pre-purchase MONSTER HUNTER RISE on Steam

1. Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart was the most fun I had with a game all year and that's the reason why It's #1! This game is basically a Saturday morning cartoon for video games and was the game that showed off what the PS5 was capable of the most! The gameplay was smooth, the characters were perfectly designed and clear, the colors were vibrant, the sound design was crisp, and there were NO LOADING SCREENS! 

 Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Deafo

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure takes into the world of Cece Bell's graphic novel turned into an Apple TV+ series titled "El Deafo". It is a semi autobiographical tale of her early life and dealing with her struggles of being deaf. The series also features original music from Waxahatchee a very underrated artist in my opinion! So let's get started on our review and head to Virginia to meet Cece Bell in "El Deafo" First off I would like to say the character designs are super cute and enjoyable to watch. I love the design of the rabbits and the clean lines of the show are very pleasant to look at. The tone of the show is very colorful yet muted and pastel which I really enjoy.  Now I won't give away the plot but as you can guess from the title and the poster that this is the story of how Cece lost her hearing. It is great to see a story for children addressing this topic for them to understand the issue

POKEMON SWORD AND SHIELD LEAKS!!!

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD DO NO READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS! Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure is not a traditional adventure. In 2 weeks Pokemon Sword and Shield will be releasing on Nintendo Switch and we got almost every new Pokemon leaked this week! Here's how this will go, I will talk little bit about my thoughts on each line and at the end tell you what my first run through team will be. Let's get started! Grookey, Thwackey, and Rilaboom is the pure grass starter line. it's a great line but I don't like the middle evolution's coloring. It's like green, bright green, and then brown? It just seems odd but I love the idea of the drummer gorilla! Scorbunny, Raboot, and Cinderace is the pure fire starter line. It's not the best line because I don't like the clothes The Pokemon are wearing in their designs. Maybe it'll look better in motions but It's not my favorite. Sobble, Drizzle,

Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? Today's adventure takes us deep into the walls and underneath the ground to the land of Fraggle Rock. But this isn't the first time we've been here, we remember this place from long ago and it's time to go back. A reboot of a series that ended in 1987 is just what Apple TV+ needs right? Let's find out! Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock has 13 episodes in it's first season and it's just as charming as you remember. The muppets look as good as ever, the characters a charming, and the world building in this show is actually quite good! Each episode has a fun adventure with a pretty solid through line of exploring "outer space" which is just our world. There are some pretty great jokes that go along with this too. In the pilot episode one of the characters gets attacked by a dog, when telling his friends about it he says "I was attacked by the most vicious space monster" and it cuts to t