Skip to main content

"DS4EVER" by Gunna

Listen to Gunna's New Album 'DS4EVER' f/ Young Thug & More | Complex 

Welcome back to Thrak Attack, what's your adventure? I have never heard of Gunna before today, I don't usually follow hip-hop artists or keep up with this music. But his album was released yesterday and I thought I would give it a shot and review it! Now I must remind you that I don't know much about modern hip-hop. I know about the history of the genre, the major artists, and that's about it. So this review may be very biased and uninformed but I am a musician with a degree in music so I will review it to the best of my ability. So here is my review of "DS4EVER" by Gunna.

This is Gunna's third album since 2019 but it doesn't show it. It still feels like he's trying to make a name for himself as a rapper which is probably true. Considering I haven't heard of him until today I feel like he does need to push his music more to make it to the mainstream. Regardless of his past music, we're talking about "DS4EVER" which is a decent album. I usually am not a fan of listening to an entire hip-hop album all the way through but I was actually interested in this one all the way through. It helped that I listened on my AirPods Pro while playing a round of Disc Golf, but it surprisingly kept my interest.

Now should we start with the good or the bad? Let's start with the bad... I think this album was incredibly offensive to women with very sexually aggressive language towards them. I know that is a majority of rap music but I was not appreciative of it. Especially the song with Chloe of her repeating his words was a bit of coverup to make it seem less offensive because she was saying it back to him. So a lot of the songs, although with great tracks and beats, I was completely taken out of due to the content of those songs.

The good however was the album is long! Almost an hour long at 55 minutes! That is a killer time for an album! RuPaul's latest album was just over 30. So regardless of the lyrics or content of the album it did impress me the sheer amount of music going into this album! He also has a single with Drake that was not featured on the album which was impressive! So even though I said that I usually don't enjoy hip-hop music as a full album it's especially impressive to keep my interest for almost an hour!

All in all, it was not a great album. Just because an album keeps my interest throughout does not make it a good album and because there was no through line or connecting concept it was rather disjointed. On my reviews of albums I use an average of 5 stars for the track listing and then a star for production, concept, musicianship, aesthetic, and overall feeling. Unfortunately this just not my style so it gets a 1 star average with a point in production

"DS4EVER" by Gunna gets 2 stars.

                        All the Best, Ross 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pokemon Cinematic Universe

Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure was Detective Pikachu which is an awesome live action Pokemon Movie but not the Pokemon we were expecting. Even though this movie was really well done, I believe there in the future for us in regards to another cinematic universe. The way they handled this film and the references in it are perfectly done and do set up a future for this for happening. SPOILER WARNING for Detective Pikachu, if you have not seen this please, go watch the film and then come on back! Alright let's get started with the film we received this past weekend. Pokemon: Detective Pikachu is a mystery film taking place in the Pokemon World based on a video game of the same name. Tim Goodman meets a talking Pikachu after his father mysteriously passes away. Throughout the film we realize that it is actually his father trapped inside Pikachu's body although none of the characters know this until the end. The villain's plan...

S3 Finale: Top 10 Shows of 2021

 Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This year I added a new category to Thrak Attack's lineups of adventures. I've never been a big TV show follower but I felt like with the MCU adding TV shows and access to some new streaming services to my roster over quarantine that it was time to add those adventures in! So here is a Thrak Attack first, The Top 10 Shows of 2021! 10. Hawkeye on Disney+  is not a great mini series but has some great character introductions and moments for the MCU. Most importantly introducing Kate Bishop who will hopefully take up the mantle of Hawkeye, Yelena reconciling with Clint about Natasha's death in Endgame, and the reintroduction of a character from the Netflix Marvel shows!   9. The Shrink Next Door on Apple TV+ was a short and sweet show based on a podcast which is an interesting transition. Both Paul Rudd and Will Ferrel shine in this show showcasing both of their acting chops. The plot is pretty simple but is com...

Hotel Transylvania 4: Transformania

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack, what's your adventure? Today's adventure takes us to the amazon rainforest on a quest for a crystal to change humans into monsters and monsters into humans. In the 4th installment of this weirdly long running series that is the plot! Does it make sense? Is it enjoyable to watch? Are there some redeeming qualities to this series that went from theater releases to straight to streaming? We shall see. Like I said before this is the fourth installment to the Hotel Transylvania series and I did not realize it was successful enough to make a fourth one. However, the first three were theatrical releases and this time around it was released only on Amazon Prime. Due to this, Adam Sandler is no longer the voice of the lead character Dracula but instead goes to Brian Hull who has mainly done voice acting for the Pup Star series, Tangled: the Series, and a Hotel Transylvania short film.  There is something going for this movie though mainly that the cast i...