Skip to main content

Pokemon Legends Arceus

 Pokemon Legends: Arceus update out now (version 1.0.2)


Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? and welcome to the very first Wireless Wednesday! The weekly review post about video games! Today's adventure takes us to the Hisui region of the Pokemon world which may be Sinnoh in the past or may be Sinnoh in another dimension, the game doesn't entirely clear that up. It's been about two weeks since the game was released and I have sunk about 40 hours into it so it's safe to say I am ready to review it! So let's jump right in!

This is not your typical Pokemon game. The basic premise is still there, you are tasked with completing the Pokédex and documenting every Pokemon in the region but this time the game gives you incentive to reach that goal and gives you different tasks and research points to find for each Pokemon. The battle system is still there although with minor tweaks but you don't technically have to enter a battle with a wild Pokemon in order to catch it and the game flows in and out of battles so quickly its not a chore to battle anymore, the game is also about exploration but does it right this time creating 5 vast areas to explore each with unique Pokemon, items, and environmental hurdles. Needless to say this is the most advanced and quite possibly the best Pokemon game ever.

There's one huge, and only, downside to the game... It looks awful. I know a lot of people say that it's "stylized" but boy did they pick a horrible style. For example, there is one character who wears a beautiful ornate kimono and it looks great, but if you look at details on the other side they're pixilated and blurry. Finding Pokemon in the water is atrocious because you can barely see them through a cheap splashing animation, and when you see a Pokemon from a far they look like someone made a flip book of that Pokemon and it really takes you out of the experience.

That's it though, that's my one gripe with this game. Everything else is amazing! The dropped satchels mechanic to get you evolution items is super fun, the linking cable being adapted as an evolution item is amazing, the outbreaks and distortions are really great additions to an already explorable world. It's just fantastic! You can also craft items like potions and poke balls which gives you incentive to find items in the world. 

We can also talk about Jubilife Village which is the main hub of the game. When you first start the game there are no Pokemon in the town at all, the people are terrified of these creatures but as you go through the game and complete tasks for the townsfolk your village begins to become filled by these Pokemon that are helping create a better life and village for these people.

Honestly the reason why I love this game is everything it is asking you to do has a great incentive to complete. I want to complete the Pokédex to finish the story, I want to catch multiple of each and battle multiple to complete the Pokédex, I want to complete my side quests to fill up my village with Pokemon, and I want to explore the world to find items to help make the game easier. Everything has a purpose in this game, I just wish it looked better.

When reviewing games, I award stars to these categories... art style, controls, UI, smoothness, plot, characters, music, gameplay loop, length, and overall feeling. This game receives stars for all except smoothness and art style. 

Pokemon Legends Arceus receives 8 out of 10 stars. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pokemon Cinematic Universe

Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure was Detective Pikachu which is an awesome live action Pokemon Movie but not the Pokemon we were expecting. Even though this movie was really well done, I believe there in the future for us in regards to another cinematic universe. The way they handled this film and the references in it are perfectly done and do set up a future for this for happening. SPOILER WARNING for Detective Pikachu, if you have not seen this please, go watch the film and then come on back! Alright let's get started with the film we received this past weekend. Pokemon: Detective Pikachu is a mystery film taking place in the Pokemon World based on a video game of the same name. Tim Goodman meets a talking Pikachu after his father mysteriously passes away. Throughout the film we realize that it is actually his father trapped inside Pikachu's body although none of the characters know this until the end. The villain's plan...

S3 Finale: Top 10 Shows of 2021

 Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This year I added a new category to Thrak Attack's lineups of adventures. I've never been a big TV show follower but I felt like with the MCU adding TV shows and access to some new streaming services to my roster over quarantine that it was time to add those adventures in! So here is a Thrak Attack first, The Top 10 Shows of 2021! 10. Hawkeye on Disney+  is not a great mini series but has some great character introductions and moments for the MCU. Most importantly introducing Kate Bishop who will hopefully take up the mantle of Hawkeye, Yelena reconciling with Clint about Natasha's death in Endgame, and the reintroduction of a character from the Netflix Marvel shows!   9. The Shrink Next Door on Apple TV+ was a short and sweet show based on a podcast which is an interesting transition. Both Paul Rudd and Will Ferrel shine in this show showcasing both of their acting chops. The plot is pretty simple but is com...

Best of 2018 (Part 2)

Well here we are folks, 2019! It's time for the final post for 2018 before we jump into the new year! It's Top 10 time! Top 10 movies, video games, albums, songs, and travel destinations! So it's going to be a long but great post of the best of the year! If you want to see the adventures I want on this past year, I have the part 1 post of the full years adventures if you would like to check it out! With all that out of the way, let's get started! Top 10 2018 Movies 10. Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse - A fantastically animated film but would have better off as an television series. 9. Venom - I was not expecting this film to be this good. I was pleseantly surprised by the tone of this film and the acting. The unexpected joy I found in this film gives it the #9 spot. 8. Solo: A Star Wars Story - Diffidently not the worst Star Wars film but not the best either. Just a fun space adventure with a fantastic performance by Donald Glover as Lando. 7. Ant-Man an...