Skip to main content

S1 Ep3- Prescott, Travis Strikes Again, Alice Merton

Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? Every week I review the adventures I go on for you so you know if you should also go on those adventures. It could be a movie, video game, music, book, TV show, or even a trip to somewhere new. This week is the first post on the new schedule, I will post the full schedule at the end, and there were 3 adventures I went on this week so with all of that out of the way let's get rocking!

NEWS!
-A new DBZ action RPG is in development and I am super pumped. I'm hoping it's an open world game where you can be either a scientist, physical fighter, or ki fighter and each style plays the game differently.
-A live action Pokemon Red and Blue movie is in the works. It's about time, I don't know why we're doing Detective Pikachu before the original story. Will that movie set-up the lore of this one? Pokemon cinematic universe anyone?
-Google Maps will now show speed limits when giving directions, that will super helpful and I don't know why that has just become a thing now.
-Incubus has started recording on a new album. This will be their 9th studio album.


REVIEWS!


Prescott, AZ is one of the coolest towns in Arizona. This was my first trip up there and I've heard nothing but great things and now I understand why. It feels like a small Appalachian town in West Virginia with a southwest vibe. Before we get to the town let's take a look at one of my new favorite hikes in the state, Watson Lake Loop trail.

This trail is a 5 mile loop trail that loops the entire lake. You start off in the rocky area right by the lake, then drop down into the wetlands behind the dam, then climb back up into the rocky area on the other side, and then find the bike trail and follow that down onto the flat area of the lake and creek feeding into the lake, and then back up to the rocks at the beginning. It's a diverse and relatively easy hike but is extremely rewarding and has lots of fun and cool rocks and water to check out.

The whole park is awesome too. There's the hiking trail, bike trail, you can kayak on the lake, a dog park, disc golf, and a playground for the little ones. There is a $3 parking fee however and the machine sucks! It wouldn't take my dollar so I had to use my card. It was honestly the worst part of the park.

After the hike, we headed downtown and started our evening at the Rickity Cricket a cool craft beer taproom and saloon. I had some really good beer including "I Did it All for the Cookie" and "Wake and Bake Coffee Stout". I played some piano on the honky tonk piano and we met some new friends. Next we attempted to go up to the Prescott Station and realized it was too fancy for us so we went to the Palace which was delicious. I had a buffalo burger which was a perfect meal for the post hike with some delicious! I also read that the Palace is one of the top 10 historic bars in the United States. After the Palace we stopped in at the candy store and grabbed some salt water taffy for the ride home.

All in all, this is one of my favorite Arizona road trips. Next we're going to get a hotel room so we can take advantage of the full Whiskey Road. Also, shout out to Kathy for being our new best friend! So I will diffidently be doing this trip again and would recommend it to you!



Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is a rated M, hack n' slash, meta, video game that is the 3rd in the No More Heroes series. Travis Touchdown is essentially the Deadpool of the video game world and it even acknowledges that fact. The game is constantly making fun of itself and it really makes no sense but the gameplay is fun and every 2 hours or so the gameplay changes up.

The basic plot of this game is Badman and Travis Touchdown are looking for the cursed video game system the MRK II and trying to break the curse. Each console has a different game with slightly different gameplay styles and stories and you have to go through and debug the game to make it safe.

This game is ridiculous, vulgar, and hilarious. It's also loads of fun! I have had a blast playing it and I still have 3 more games to go through. Here's the thing though, this is diffidently a game that you only play through once. I see no value in playing through it again after I beat the game. So will this go on my ultimate shelf? It should be but it won't be. It's diffidently worth playing even if you haven't played through the first 2 in the series!


Alice Merton's first album "Mint" is the reason why the future of rock is female. Some of her music is poppy and cheesy and fun, some of it is intense and heavy, and some of them feel like like an electronica song. It's one of those styles where you don't need to label it to enjoy it. It's just a great album. Alice Merton is in the ranks of Lana Del Rey, Florence Welch, Courtney Barnett, and St. Vincent with being the future of rock music. Her voice is amazing, she knows how to write a good song and keep things fresh on the album, and she knows what makes an album and song work.

The big single "No Roots" she released as a single in 2016 and is her biggest song to date but there are some real gems in this first album including the syncopated chorus of "Learn to Live", the groove of "2 Kids", the dissonant piano riff of "Homesick", and the full on rock out of "Lash Out".

After the first listen I did not like the odd flow and style change of the album but the more I listened to it the more I enjoyed the flow and each style change equally. It's hard to pick a song that I don't like but there are some low points such as "Trouble in Paradise" and "I Don't Hold a Grudge" but I don't think they are bad songs, just songs that don't really stick out to me.

I'm really trying to find a criticism about this album but I truly believe it's the first great album of 2019. She's a great vocalist, performer, and song writer and I am excited to see the success of this album and where she goes in the future. Will this be on the ultimate shelf in vinyl form? If I can find it than yes! Totally check this one out!


So those were the adventures I went on this week, It's been a busy one but a successful one. Each adventure was so diverse and completely shattered my expectations of how great they would be. So at the beginning I told you I would post the new schedule so here it is!

Monday-Blog (full reviews of the adventures and news)
Tuesday-Tune-in Tuesday (social media post about the song I'm listening to)
Wednesday- Video (the full reviews in video form)
Thursday- Thumbstick Thursday (social media post about what video games I'm playing)
Friday- Podcast (full reviews in Podcast form)

If I go on adventures over the weekend I will make sure to post them on Facebook and Instagram so check those out! Thank you for reading, keep going on adventures!

                                                  All the Best, Ross



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Deafo

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure takes into the world of Cece Bell's graphic novel turned into an Apple TV+ series titled "El Deafo". It is a semi autobiographical tale of her early life and dealing with her struggles of being deaf. The series also features original music from Waxahatchee a very underrated artist in my opinion! So let's get started on our review and head to Virginia to meet Cece Bell in "El Deafo" First off I would like to say the character designs are super cute and enjoyable to watch. I love the design of the rabbits and the clean lines of the show are very pleasant to look at. The tone of the show is very colorful yet muted and pastel which I really enjoy.  Now I won't give away the plot but as you can guess from the title and the poster that this is the story of how Cece lost her hearing. It is great to see a story for children addressing this topic for them to understand the issue

POKEMON SWORD AND SHIELD LEAKS!!!

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD DO NO READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS! Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure is not a traditional adventure. In 2 weeks Pokemon Sword and Shield will be releasing on Nintendo Switch and we got almost every new Pokemon leaked this week! Here's how this will go, I will talk little bit about my thoughts on each line and at the end tell you what my first run through team will be. Let's get started! Grookey, Thwackey, and Rilaboom is the pure grass starter line. it's a great line but I don't like the middle evolution's coloring. It's like green, bright green, and then brown? It just seems odd but I love the idea of the drummer gorilla! Scorbunny, Raboot, and Cinderace is the pure fire starter line. It's not the best line because I don't like the clothes The Pokemon are wearing in their designs. Maybe it'll look better in motions but It's not my favorite. Sobble, Drizzle,

Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? Today's adventure takes us deep into the walls and underneath the ground to the land of Fraggle Rock. But this isn't the first time we've been here, we remember this place from long ago and it's time to go back. A reboot of a series that ended in 1987 is just what Apple TV+ needs right? Let's find out! Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock has 13 episodes in it's first season and it's just as charming as you remember. The muppets look as good as ever, the characters a charming, and the world building in this show is actually quite good! Each episode has a fun adventure with a pretty solid through line of exploring "outer space" which is just our world. There are some pretty great jokes that go along with this too. In the pilot episode one of the characters gets attacked by a dog, when telling his friends about it he says "I was attacked by the most vicious space monster" and it cuts to t