Skip to main content

S1 Ep. 8- Dream Academy

Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventures includes 2 new trailers, a review of Netflix's new show The Umbrella Academy, and Dream Theater's new album "Distance Over Time". This is the first episode on the new schedule, all episodes of Thrak Attack (blog, podcast, and video) will be up every Sunday to start your week off with an adventure. So with all of that out of the way, let's get into some news.

NEWS!
-The Punisher and Jessica Jones have been cancelled by Netflix. Good. I've disliked a majority of those seasons they are just too long and drawn out. Hopefully we get a season 2 of the Defenders though to wrap everything up.
-Batman and the Ninja Turtles are getting their own cartoon movie crossover and the 12 year old in me is going bananas! This sounds awesome and I'm excited to see these two franchises interact with one another.
-Clampearl is getting a specialty research event in Pokemon Go, I don't know why they chose that Pokemon but I guess it's cool. I'm not into the whole research tasks in that game. I've been stuck on "catch a ditto" for Meltan since November sooo....
-Chris Hemsworth is playing Hulk Hogan in a new biopic coming out. So first Thor teamed up with Hulk and now he is the Hulk.
-Reggie Fils-Aime is retiring as the head of Nintendo of America. He is passing the reins of the position off to Doug Bowser which is the perfect name for that position. But Reggie's body will always be ready.
-Peter Tork of the Monkees passes away at 77, he will be missed.
-The Greatest Showman is getting a sequel. Does it need a sequel? No. But we also don't need Toy Story 4! It's the perfect trilogy with a perfect end!!! I mean Bonnie was the....but I digress...

TRAILERS!

Image result for detective pikachu
Detective Pikachu gets it's second trailer and it still looks odd. Pokemon is one my favorite franchises of all time and I different expectations for the first live action movie. Don't get me wrong, I love that they're doing it and it looks great. I am diffidently going to go see it. The Pokemon designs and selections they've shown are really good! But the setting seems weird, the plot seems unpokemon like, and why are we voicing Pikachu with Ryan Reynolds? I don't think you need a big name actor to sell this movie, the name Pokemon is enough.

Image result for Rocketman
Rocketman gets it's full length trailer and it looks almost identical to Bohemian Rhapsody which was a great movie but also feel like more of the same when I go see this movie this summer. Also Taron Egerton doesn't seem right for the part and doesn't feel like Elton John. But regardless I will probably go see this movie when it is released but it won't hurt my feelings if I don't get around to it.



REVIEWS!


Image result for Umbrella Academy
The Umbrella Academy is a brand new show on Netflix brought to you by Gerard Way the lead vocalist of My Chemical Romance. I don't know much about the plot. My roommate has been watching it as I've been doing other things so I don't have much to say about it but here are my initial thoughts.

The characters all seem interesting and work well together and the plot line seems weird enough to be interesting but also inconsistent in tone. The music selection seems forced (specifically "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen during the shootout scene) but also really works in cases like the "Run Boy Run" scene.

Each episode focuses on another character within that family and sometimes the storylines intertwine but sometimes it feels so out of the way that it doesn't even feel like the same show.

It's really not my cup of tea, I watched at least 3 episodes and after that I should either be in or out and I'm totally out. Is this going on my ultimate shelf? No. Not even a little bit.



Image result for Distance over time

Dream Theater's 14th studio album "Distance Over Time" does not feel like a band's 14th studio album but in fact a 4th or 5th studio album. The music and style is very well established but it also seems as if they don't know what type of metal do they want to be. Are they a hair metal band? Speed metal? math metal? Death metal? or Prog metal? All of these genres are flirted with on this album but it never settles in on one style.

I do enjoy this album, well half of this album. I don't mean I like half of the tracks and dislike the others. I mean I like specific parts of each song and dislike the rest. I've always felt this way about this style of music and it's the reason I don't like it as a rule of thumb. The moments I enjoy in this album is not worth it to listen to if I have to listen to 4 minutes of "look how fast we can play". It's just a lot of showing off and not enough actual substance and song structure or a cohesiveness throughout the album or song even.

There are a few songs that I do really enjoy throughout the whole song and that is "Untethered Angel" and "Barstool Warrior". The first is the first on the album and does a great job of establishing this is who we are and this is the way we're going with this album and is the reason why I feel like this is more of an establishing album rather than a continuing album for Dream Theater. "Barstool Warrior" just has the same feel throughout the song and is one of the few cohesive songs throughout the album.

All of these musicians are super talented and are some of the best at their craft but the issue with this album is my issue with the style of music. Each song doesn't have that consistency throughout and it really throws off the flow of the album. It's just the curse of the genre. I do not fault Dream Theater for this but due to that this album is not making it onto my ultimate shelf but quite a few songs made it onto my 2019 playlist.


Well there it is, another week of adventures down and another good week coming up next week. The last week of February will bring a book signing from Christopher Paolini, and new albums from Hozier, Weezer, and Citizen Cope. It's going to be a packed week for music! So if you like what your reading, Thank you! Lets us know on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram! Thanks for following us and keep going on adventures!

                                    All the Best, Ross 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Deafo

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure takes into the world of Cece Bell's graphic novel turned into an Apple TV+ series titled "El Deafo". It is a semi autobiographical tale of her early life and dealing with her struggles of being deaf. The series also features original music from Waxahatchee a very underrated artist in my opinion! So let's get started on our review and head to Virginia to meet Cece Bell in "El Deafo" First off I would like to say the character designs are super cute and enjoyable to watch. I love the design of the rabbits and the clean lines of the show are very pleasant to look at. The tone of the show is very colorful yet muted and pastel which I really enjoy.  Now I won't give away the plot but as you can guess from the title and the poster that this is the story of how Cece lost her hearing. It is great to see a story for children addressing this topic for them to understand the issue

POKEMON SWORD AND SHIELD LEAKS!!!

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD DO NO READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS! Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure is not a traditional adventure. In 2 weeks Pokemon Sword and Shield will be releasing on Nintendo Switch and we got almost every new Pokemon leaked this week! Here's how this will go, I will talk little bit about my thoughts on each line and at the end tell you what my first run through team will be. Let's get started! Grookey, Thwackey, and Rilaboom is the pure grass starter line. it's a great line but I don't like the middle evolution's coloring. It's like green, bright green, and then brown? It just seems odd but I love the idea of the drummer gorilla! Scorbunny, Raboot, and Cinderace is the pure fire starter line. It's not the best line because I don't like the clothes The Pokemon are wearing in their designs. Maybe it'll look better in motions but It's not my favorite. Sobble, Drizzle,

Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? Today's adventure takes us deep into the walls and underneath the ground to the land of Fraggle Rock. But this isn't the first time we've been here, we remember this place from long ago and it's time to go back. A reboot of a series that ended in 1987 is just what Apple TV+ needs right? Let's find out! Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock has 13 episodes in it's first season and it's just as charming as you remember. The muppets look as good as ever, the characters a charming, and the world building in this show is actually quite good! Each episode has a fun adventure with a pretty solid through line of exploring "outer space" which is just our world. There are some pretty great jokes that go along with this too. In the pilot episode one of the characters gets attacked by a dog, when telling his friends about it he says "I was attacked by the most vicious space monster" and it cuts to t