Skip to main content

S1 Ep. 9 Part 2- Citizen Cope, Weezer, Hozier, K. Flay

Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This is part 2 of Episode 9, if you want to check out the first part of the episode it's all about Pokemon Day and the news we got from it! If your into that then check it out, if not I'm glad you're here! In this slightly less nerdy part of the episode I'm going to talk about 3 new albums that were released on March 1st including "The Black Album" by Weezer, "Wasteland, Baby!" by Hozier, "Heroin and Helicopters" by Citizen Cope, and the new single "Bad Vibes" by K. Flay. There will also be a special and nerdy treat for you at the end of the post. So let's get into the reviews, we're going from the worst to the best!

REVIEWS!

Image result for weezer black album

"Weezer (The Black Album)" by Weezer is one of the laziest albums I've ever listened to. It's like they put no effort into any of their music this year. The album didn't have titles on most of it's songs until a full day after the release and there's also not even a title to the album. It's just the black album. It's just a boring album with not a lot of good music on it. I like Weezer but the more I listen to them this year the more I realize that I liked Weezer but I'm not sure if I do anymore. The only songs that have made it to the 2019 playlist from this album (buy might not stay there) are "Zombie Bastards" which is a mildly catchy song, "I'm Just Being Honest" which again is a mildly catchy song, and "Too Many Thoughts In My Head". "Zombie Bastards" is the only song where I remember anything about it. The rest of the album including the single from last year "Can't Knock the Hustle" are cheesy and lame. I really dislike the laziness and lack of effort from this band and and I'm really disappointed in them. This album is going nowhere near my ultimate shelf.

Image result for wasteland baby

"Wasteland, Baby!" by Hozier is an interesting blend of blues, pop, and songwriting at its best. It's filled with blues inspired riffs, instrumentation, and tone but it has the tunes of a well crafted pop album and energy of some of the most energetic artists. It also offers some the best lyrics so far this year. I could read a book of his lyrics they are almost as entrancing as Courtney Barnett's or Florence Welch's. The album opens with "Nina Cried Power (feat. Mavis Staples)" with a bang! Lots of energy and some great instrumentation and vocal performances. My favorite tune on the album is "Movement". It starts off a slows into a slow pop ballad and turns into a blues anthem for the ages! I am really digging this album and need more time to fully dig into it but these are just my initial thoughts. I do really enjoy it though and will be making it onto the ultimate shelf.

Image result for heroin and helicopters

"Heroin and Helicopters" by Citizen Cope is a well needed breath of fresh air in the rock landscape. With the staleness of the Weezer album, the intricate nature of Hozier, this album was the one I was most excited for and it did not disappoint. It's a simple jam album with lots to say and a lot of preaching. I really enjoy "Justice" which was last week's Tune-In Tuesday, and the album brought 2 new wonderful songs with "Silver Blush" and "Caribbean Skies". These songs have wonderful and catchy melodies that have such a good tone. The album just feels very clean well thought out yet simple. This album for sure is making it onto my ultimate shelf and I'm excited to see where this takes Citizen Cope.


Image result for bad vibes k flay

"Bad Vibes" by K. Flay is the new single from the fantastic K. Flay. I got into her music a few years back and she has not disappointed me yet. I'm hoping this single will lead into and be on a new big release from her later this year because I really dig this song. It's got great lyrics, energy, and message and I hope we hear more from her in the future! If I can get a hand on this on vinyl it will diffidently make it onto my ultimate shelf!

So there you have it! My short reviews from the mountain of music released this week! It wasn't all good but the majority of the music was fantastic which makes me excited to sink my teeth into and it enjoy it! But speaking of a mountain, The Nintendo Switch makes it over the second milestone and is having it's second birthday today! So because it's Switchaversary time, I am going to give you my top 10 Switch games from the second year of it's life span! Let's get into it!

10. Kirby Star Allies
9. Mario Tennis Aces
8. Nintendo Labo
7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
6. Super Mario Party
5. Hollow Knight
4. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
3. Octopath Traveller
2. Pokemon Let's Go
1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

There's the list, did you go on these adventures too? Tell me if you like my list or dislike it! Let's have a conversation about it! Thank you for reading and sharing and liking and keep going on adventures!

                                All the Best, Ross




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Deafo

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure takes into the world of Cece Bell's graphic novel turned into an Apple TV+ series titled "El Deafo". It is a semi autobiographical tale of her early life and dealing with her struggles of being deaf. The series also features original music from Waxahatchee a very underrated artist in my opinion! So let's get started on our review and head to Virginia to meet Cece Bell in "El Deafo" First off I would like to say the character designs are super cute and enjoyable to watch. I love the design of the rabbits and the clean lines of the show are very pleasant to look at. The tone of the show is very colorful yet muted and pastel which I really enjoy.  Now I won't give away the plot but as you can guess from the title and the poster that this is the story of how Cece lost her hearing. It is great to see a story for children addressing this topic for them to understand the issue

POKEMON SWORD AND SHIELD LEAKS!!!

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD DO NO READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS! Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? This week's adventure is not a traditional adventure. In 2 weeks Pokemon Sword and Shield will be releasing on Nintendo Switch and we got almost every new Pokemon leaked this week! Here's how this will go, I will talk little bit about my thoughts on each line and at the end tell you what my first run through team will be. Let's get started! Grookey, Thwackey, and Rilaboom is the pure grass starter line. it's a great line but I don't like the middle evolution's coloring. It's like green, bright green, and then brown? It just seems odd but I love the idea of the drummer gorilla! Scorbunny, Raboot, and Cinderace is the pure fire starter line. It's not the best line because I don't like the clothes The Pokemon are wearing in their designs. Maybe it'll look better in motions but It's not my favorite. Sobble, Drizzle,

Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock

  Welcome back to Thrak Attack! What's your adventure? Today's adventure takes us deep into the walls and underneath the ground to the land of Fraggle Rock. But this isn't the first time we've been here, we remember this place from long ago and it's time to go back. A reboot of a series that ended in 1987 is just what Apple TV+ needs right? Let's find out! Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock has 13 episodes in it's first season and it's just as charming as you remember. The muppets look as good as ever, the characters a charming, and the world building in this show is actually quite good! Each episode has a fun adventure with a pretty solid through line of exploring "outer space" which is just our world. There are some pretty great jokes that go along with this too. In the pilot episode one of the characters gets attacked by a dog, when telling his friends about it he says "I was attacked by the most vicious space monster" and it cuts to t